You've decided to sell your home! This is a huge decision for most people and not one to be taken lightly. Now what??
GET YOUR HOME READY TO SELL
- Dissociate from your home
- While you will still be living there, this really isn't your home anymore. You are offering it up to a new buyer.
Clear off kitchen counters of anything that you don't use everyday
- Donate items you no longer use or need
- Pack up knick knacks, photos and anything else that detracts from the space
- You don't need to get rid of every picture or every knick knack but understand that the more things sitting on counters and hanging on walls makes a space seem smaller and cluttered.
- Clean out the pantry, linen closets and storage spaces
Make Necessary Repairs
- this includes replacing any burned out light bulbs, cracked outlet covers, touch up paint, fix leaky faucets, repair any wood rot, etc.
Scrutinize Curb Appeal
- Many homeowners overlook this, but since more than 90% of buyers will first view your home online, this is critical. The first thing a potential buyer will see on your listing is a picture of the exterior of your house. This is the moment when they decide to look further.
- If you plan to list your home in the spring, take exterior photos in the fall, before all the greenery is gone.
- Trim bushes, put down fresh mulch, keep the lawn mowed, pull out excess landscaping, remove planters, declutter the front porch.
Deep Clean Your Home & Wash Windows
Neutralize interior paint colors
- Your son's baseball-themed room or your daughter's purple room might have been perfect for them, but a potential buyer just sees work that needs to be done.
- Paint rooms a neutral color
- Touch up paint throughout the house